A Draft Mission and Operating Plan for a startup’s CSM program/team
This material has been made available to members of The Customer Success Association. Please feel free to use it in your own companies and teams, but do not republish it elsewhere. To join in the discussion of this and other example Mission/Operating Plans, visit The Customer Success Forum on LinkedIn.
I think CS as a domain emphasizes proactivity. I think as a group/function, you have to proactively define your vision and be committed to updating/improving it as experience happens. I intend to use the mission statement to help focus our team activities. We are focused on onboarding and usage (adoption) right now. I believe if we do these things, we’ll have better retention. As we approach retention challenges and learn from those, I’ll update it and add other stuff to it.
Editor Note: The content has been edited/adapted from the original submission.
We build long term advocates by ensuring customers smoothly adopt and deeply leverage our solutions.
Management Objectives – Onboarding Phase
- 100% of all accounts are on boarded per the customer on boarding plan and our guidelines
- A customer success plan is published within 2 weeks of finalizing an agreement.
- Accounts are prepared within 2 weeks of finalizing an agreement.
- Key project members are trained within 30 days of project start for all customers.
- Users are trained per the custom success plan.
- At least 2 champions per department will be identified in which to invest per customer.
Management Objectives – After Go-Live
- 90% of all users are using our product per the success plan.
- Usage reports sent every week to project sponsors.
- Follow-up conversations are held every with sponsors to review usage reports
- 100% of all users are aware of ongoing training opportunities.
- We provide weekly summary reports of customer feedback to internal stakeholders.
Management Objectives – Customer Support
- 100% response to customer requests within 24 hours.
- 90% of all questions are resolved within 48 hours. All questions resolved within 72 hours.
- We will achieve at least 90% satisfactory rating on question processing.
- 90% of all customers who meet adoption criteria renew their subscriptions
- We identify champions and invest in their success
- We chronicle the customer’s journey
- We grow advocates.